Step by Step Instructions on How to Do Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Lay out your yoga mart, and come to your all four position, put your hands and knees with your wrists underneath the shoulders and your knees underneath hips.
- Bring your hands slightly forwards of your shoulder, with middle finger pointing forward, spread your fingers.
- Curl your toes and lift your hips and straighten your legs.
- Adjust your arms if necessary to find a right finger-toe length.
- Outwardly rotate arms for better stability.
- Engage your lower belly drawing the navel back to the spine.
- Meanwhile, press your hands, straighten your legs, and lift hips to put yourself an upside down v pose.
- Maintain for 5 breathes.
- Bend your knees down to mat and come into child pose.
Benefits of Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Calms your mind.
- Relax upper, middle and lower back.
- Stimulates blood circulation.
- Stretch your legs, hamstrings, arms and spine.
- A very good pose to stretch the back of the body.
Safety and Cautions of Downward Facing Dog Pose
Downward facing dog pose is not recommended if you have wrist injury, it should be avoid if you have high blood pressure or heart disease, consult your coach before practice.
Why People Love Doing Downward Facing Dog Pose?
I personally like this pose very much. After a long day of paper work at office, my most anticipated activity is a yoga class. Doing downward facing dog pose helps me stretch my hamstrings a lot, also my lower back pain is relief after doing several vinyasa. Next time, I am going introduce how long should you hold a downward facing dog pose, let me know by leaving a comment if you are interested.